Skip to main content

Words From Heaven

It never ceases to amaze me how God intricately designs details of our lives, creating a divine moment.  For an Anniversary gift several years ago I gave Cody a book titled ‘Married for Life’, Inspirations From Those Married 50 Years or More.  We loved this book.  If you ever visited our home, you would have seen this book sitting on our coffee table.  We made a diligent effort to read an insert from it daily, usually sitting down for dinner.  We would mute the television and read out of it before eating.  It seemed almost every testimony of marriage we read was for the exact moment we read it (you know how God works).  Needless to say, this book was precious to us.  Now that Cody is no longer here- It will be a cherished book of mine, forever. 
It’s no surprise to most, after his passing, I could not stay in our lake house.  While moving a few months ago and unpacking boxes, I came across this book.  I have shared the following ‘Words From Heaven’ moment during a ministry event a couple of months ago- but I found such power in it that I have a prompting to share with all of you.  Let me disclose that Cody and I never, kept anything in this book.  It has an attached silk bookmark built into it.  We never stuck random paper in the book or anything of that sort.  While coming across the book in my new house, I picked it up.  Oddly, I noticed a corner of a piece of paper slightly sticking out.  I immediately opened the book and the piece of torn paper fell out of it.  The paper was filled with Cody’s handwriting… My heart quickened.  I knew I had never seen this piece of paper before.  I was anxious to read what he had written.  The following words will be etched into my soul forever.  This ‘piece of paper’ will be attentively preserved.
Cody’s ‘Words From Heaven’ as I refer to them…
“Sometimes in life—Before you can have new dreams, the old ones have to be taken from you.  There is a time and place for everything the Good Book says—Now is the time and this is the place God has brought you to today.  To Praise Him like never before.  NOW PRAISE HIM with ALL Your HEART.  God has a purpose for each of us and it is not insignificant.  If you play for yourself- you can be great at something.  But if you play for something higher than yourself- there is no limit because it is not your power.  Where there is no wisdom the people parish.  That means there is no Hope—With Hope Breaths Life!”
Can I just take a moment and say WOW!  Imagine someone you love so dearly, here one day and gone the next, so suddenly, and you read words of passion and inspiration they could have written the very day they passed?  I am in awe at how God inspired Cody to take the time to write this down and then, not by happenstance, place it in our special book.  The first time I read these words was a day when my ‘Praise’ was hard to find.  You better believe I hit my knees in praise after reading this.  It’s moments like these—Cody making a choice to write this, for whatever reason, and these words will invoke emotion and passion for life and our Creator for as long as this little piece of paper is preserved, that our choices, big and small in life can and do ultimately impact those around us.  I love the quote by Maya Angelou, “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”  I want to be more aware everyday of ‘how I make people feel’.  That is undoubtedly a part our legacy… Let’s make it count!  Cody made me feel hope.  I witnessed his life as a ray of hope for many souls struggling with addiction.  His life was full of battles, redemption and God’s glory until his last day.  He made me fearless about dreaming big.  Nothing was too big for him to accomplish.  He was a fearless soul.  I admired his appetite for life and strive to instill the same zest for life in our daughter.  
To be an encourager and inspirer in this dark and broken world is being a beacon of hope in what could be viewed as a hopeless situation.  I do not believe in ‘hopeless’ situations.  Just like Cody wrote, “With hope breaths life”, I’m going to say, ‘With life breaths hope’.  If there is a breath of life, there is hope even in the most difficult circumstances.  Cody Lusk continuously taught me this while doing life with him, through his death I am still learning this notion.  That too, shall be a part of his legacy. 
Happy 38th Birthday to Cody, Celebrating in the Glorious Heavens… Most likely fishing for big, heavenly bass in the most beautiful blue waters.

“He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” 
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 
Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.””
Revelation 21:4-7

I shall praise The Lord with all my heart and soul, like never before- even when it hurts, especially when it hurts. 
I Trust my God, I Trust my God, I Trust my God…




Comments

  1. Cody and I celebrated many birthdays together, mine was 1 day before his. I've been thinking of him, you and Abby a lot lately. Your blog is great and you bring inspiration to many people with the amazing words that flow from your heart, soul and mind. Keep it up.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scott! I think of you often too. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Much love to you, Tessa, and the girls.

      Jess

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Will Praise You Through The Pain

Photo By Brianne Campos Photography “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults. And with my song I shall thank Him.” Psalm 28:7 I made a decision a long time ago that I would praise You, always, Lord. There was a time in my life when I didn’t understand what praising You meant. There was a time in my life when You whispered to me to praise You, and I replied with, “I will not praise You when my life is a mess… fix this and then I’ll praise You.” What a victim mentality that was. That particular night 4 years ago is a moment I will never forget. The Lord got a hold of my heart and revealed Himself to me in a whole new light. I began to realize it’s not about what God can do for us… We shouldn’t praise Him for what He can do… We should praise Him simply for Who He is. He is The Lord of Lord’s, The King of King’s. He is worthy of all of our praise, all of the time. No matter our circumstances. Eve

If I Die Before You, Can You Be Happy For Me...?

Photo by Cori Lusk Ford “If I rise, let me rise on you.  Not on all of my success, my esteem or my pursuits.  If I lose, let me lose my life.  Cause if I belong to Jesus, the flesh is crucified.  For me to live is Christ, to die is gain.  If I grow, let me grow in You.  Wilt the seeds of wanting more.  Rippin’ pride out by the roots, and if I’m still, let me hear You speak.  Not the tone of my transgressions, but the song of the Redeemed.  For me to Live is Christ, to die is gain.  My great desire is to be with you.  But this is the place you chose for me.  To lift my cross and give everything.  This is the time you gave me… For me to live is Christ, to die is gain.  I’ll never be the same…” To Live is Christ by Sidewalk Prophets. I closed my eyes and worshiped to this song as we drove down the road.  Cody squeezed my hand gently, bringing me back to reality.  I looked over at him from the passenger seat.  “If I die before you, can you be happy for me?” I asked him.  Cody’s ey